| Let's Move On - Book 5 CLB 4-6 Advanced
Suffixes of description or condition:
Lesson 1. -able, -ible
Lesson 2. -ary,-ery,-ory
Lesson 3. -ant/-ance/y
Lesson 4. -ent/-ence/y
Lesson 5. -en
In Lesson 1, a babysitter you can depend on is dependable.
In Lesson 2, a film that documents is a documentary film.
In Lesson 3, a vacant room at a hotel means there is a vacancy.
In Lesson 4, six people conferring on the phone is a conference call.
In Lesson 5, she forgot her homework, her homework was forgotten.
The Lesson Plan For Each Unit
1. A basic presentation of the eight parts of speech and their functions in English sentences.
2. The suffixes/prefixes are introduced.
3. A matching activity introduces the suffixes and prefixes.
4. A further introduction page filled out together as a class.
5. A list of common words that contain the suffix/prefix is discussed as a class.
6. Sentence Practice A. In the cloze activity students choose words from the Word Bank, alter them and complete the sentences.
7. Sentence Practice B gives students a structured opportunity to change an underlined word to a new word with the suffix/prefix and make an altered sentence e.g., You can depend on that babysitter. The babysitter is dependable. The words to be changed are underlined in Part B of each practice.
8. Sentence Practice C is the same as B but the students are asked to determine on their own which words to change. All of the words to be changed are included in the list found on the second page of the Unit, so students will always be able to refer to the list to see which words in the practice sentences can be combined with the suffix/prefix.
9. Unit Review - Sentence Practice Quiz: Students are presented with sentences from the previous sentence exercises and they are required to change a word to a new word with the suffix/prefix and make an altered sentence.
10. Unit Review - Four In A Row: Students attempt to place four consecutive markers in any direction on the board by giving correct sentences using the words given with a Unit suffix or prefix.
11. Unit Review - Dominos: Root word and suffix/prefix pieces are paired to make a word. Students can begin with 5 dominos and take turns constructing some sort of shape (circle, rectangle, house, car) by forming correctly spelled words
12. Unit Review - A Board Game: Players move around the board by making new words that contain a suffix/prefix joined to the word on the card that has been drawn. Depending on the degree of difficulty desired, players can be asked to spell the new word. They can also be asked to use the word in a sentence.
Let’s Move ON Book 5 Text 159 pages ISBN 978-1-894799-59-1
$59.95 Photocopy Permission for One Purchasing Site/School or One Purchasing Teacher
Login to post a review
Copyright © 2008-2020 Canadian Resources for ESL